Sunday, January 22, 2017

Souq Waqif Spring Festival 2017


I went for a walk down to Souq Waqif this evening and was surprised at all of the festivities happening at the Souq, I forgot it was the Spring Festival.



Over the new underground parking lot (near the restaurants) was a massive seating area looking at a stage. I’m not entirely sure what was playing, there was probably a hundred or so people in line waiting to get in so I did not go in to see. There were signs showing the Arabic singers that they would have each evening so I assume that they would be playing there.

The festival is getting more and more popular every year. I'm sure the new parking lots helped a lot as it's now much easier to find parking. The place was pretty crowded.



They had lots of vendor stands selling treats, stilt-walkers and other entertainers, and a big amusement park in the parking lot near Fanar.




I believe the festival continues until early February. Even on a Sunday evening there were a ton of families there having a nice time. Given the crowds you might want to consider going on a weekday -- the weekends will probably be heaving with people.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Could you please tell me the name of the singer(s) who performed on the night of January 30th, 2017 at Souq Waqif on that stage concert?? I enjoyed the concert very much with my wife but we had no chance to get the name of the artist. Thanks for your kind attention. Sincerely,
Fernando Juarez
fernandojr100@hotmail.com

Glen McKay said...

Hi Fernando. I couldn't find it in English so I asked a friend of mine to search in Arabic. There were two singers that evening: Walid Tawfik and Faris Karam.