Friday, July 19, 2013

Ramadan 2013 - Day 8, Sleep Problems



Over the course of Ramadan my sleep schedule has been getting more and more skewed. A typical workday schedule was going like this:

6:15am wake up
7:15am-12:30pm work
2:30pm-4:30ish have a nap
6:30pm iftar
Around 12:30am go to bed
3:00am briefly wake up for sohour

By the time the afternoon rolled around I was very tired and so would fall asleep right away when I had my nap. Because of this, I was usually well rested through the evening and going to bed at night became more difficult, which made me more tired during the day, which made the nap longer, which made it more difficult to fall asleep at night, and so on. I call it “sleep drift”.

The naps have become longer and longer and now are at least three hours. Last night I went to bed at 2:45am, and was still not sleepy. I don't think I actually fell asleep until sometime after 4am! At this rate the evening is going to be the nap and I'll be sleeping most of the day.

Thankfully it's now the weekend so I can try to get this back on track. I woke up this morning around 10:45am and today I'm not going to have a nap at all, I will just have to somehow keep myself occupied all day so I don't sleep. Hopefully that will help reset things, otherwise next week at work is going to be a nightmare.

No comments: